Our Vision

We envision the County of Ventanilla, becoming the first sustainable County in Peru and thus, becoming an inspiration and concrete example of what can be done.
What we are doing to support this goals is:

Learning permaculture and developing a network of Permaculture Designers.
In time we hope to find financing to take them to Peru along with other trained volunteers.
Learning scale sized Sustainable systems that are flexible to be adapted to the richly diverse micro climates and ecosystems of Peru.

We hope that this will only be a first step. As we hope to be an example for what can be done with partnerships and determination.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Someone asked me, "What the Heck is a Ventanilla?"


To help answer the question in the title, I thought I'd start with a couple photos. Words can only tell us so much, but picture speak volumes.



I like the motto, above the name, in the second photo.. Now forgive me if my translation is a little off, but I think it mean something like, "To Always be Bigger." Which I think can have many meanings if you think about it. But the one that comes to mind first is, "looking for growth". In a way, that's what we are doing. We are wanting to help Ventanilla grow in sustainability and become an example of environmental responsibility. Mery has done a wonderful job at getting this going. She has promised to send me more details so that I can share it with everyone. So, look for a post sometimes next week.

The photos tell us a great deal, but let me also give you some of the background about Ventanilla that I know.
Unlike the question that is in the title, Ventanilla is not a "what", but rather it's a "where". So, more correctly asked, "Where is Ventanilla?" Ah, now that is a logical question I can answer.
Ventanilla is in Peru. It is a county or rather a district, and according to Wikipedia it consists of eight urban areas and has something like 160 neighborhoods (or hamlets).
If you will look closely at the first photo, you will see homes on the side of the hill. From photos of different areas around Ventanilla that I've seen, this is very typical of the area.
Those are people that don't have much, but they use what they have and what they can find to make a place to live. To me, that shows determination and ingenuity. Those are the type of people that would seem to be more willing to learn how to be sustainable. I also see community and togetherness. In all of the photos I've looked at I have not seen just one little home standing by itself. Instead there are many homes close together, if not side by side. That also speaks volumes to me, and it seems to be saying, "We stand together".
I like that thought, and that is exactly what Wolf, Mery and I are doing. We are standing together to try to make a difference in Ventanilla. Our hope is that we will find others to stand with us, to form partnerships and make a lasting difference in people's lives.
So there you have it, those are the thoughts for today!
For now, Wolf, Mery and I would like to thank you for taking a few moments to read our Blog..

No comments:

Post a Comment